Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Step on Snakes Before Breakfast

 I really want to share Ann Voskamp with you at Www.aholyexperience.com. I have her posts emailed to me and their rich generosity of spirit are inspiring to me. She might be too much for you, her site misrepresents her as kind of giggly and treacly. If you follow her blog you will find her as in touch with her defects as any of us and down to earth in her struggles.

That is why I call her generous as she opens her life to all of us interlopers. I will enjoy her while she is so accessible as I fear that someday she will reclaim her privacy. Another reason I am growing to love her is that she is a True Believer. A year ago I might have passed her good words right by, thinking to myself, 'give me a break, a wacko Christian proselytizing'.

My Spiritual Director recommended her book One Thousand Gifts in which she mentions her process of writing a list of what she is grateful for.  Now, anyone serious about recovery has written a gratitude list. They are usually pretty concrete, numbering 20 or so, or perhaps starting with each letter of the alphabet.

Her list is lyrical which is another thing I enjoy about her, she is such a good writer. She has me, I tell you. I started a list in November and I better get back to it.

So, if you are ever in Amesbury, MA and want to talk about gratitude, join me at 7am everyday but Sunday for the What's Good About Today open meeting of AA. Because it's good to step on the snakes before breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Carol...so good to read you again, I have missed you. "It's good to step on the snakes before breakfast"...love it. Life just keeps taking us up and down the roads of grace, if we open our eyes to see and our ears to hear. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello...

    ReplyDelete