Tuesday, July 19, 2011

H.A.L.T.S. or S.H.A.L.T.

Every morning, before the meeting, we talk about our lives, amongst ourselves, checking in on others around us. It is the meeting before the meeting, some come an hour early, I get there about fifteen minutes before the hour.

I was talking to a sober alcoholic about facing new challenges with the strength of our program. Whether it is a new job, a new home or a new relationship, any changes in our routine awaken our anxiety. How great it is that I can reference my inventory and see what insecurities are trying to guide me. I watch myself and notice when my reactions start to fly before I'm able to edit them. Noticing my H.A.L.T. status can clue me in to my limits in a given situation. In this heat wave, I think that there should be sweaty added. Maybe, I will add an 'S' to halt. Halts or Shalt.

Thou SHALT observe oneself in action. Am I the woman outside of a meeting that I am inside of a meeting?

What's good about today is working my program a day at a time, with my higher power's thoughtful guidance. I read a lovely prayer about this this morning that I will share with you tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. BEST-QUESTION-of-the=WEEK! "Am I the same Peep outside the meeting that I am IN the meeting?"

    Answer to that can tell me right where I am--spiritually. GOOD sobriety here, Carol!

    (Yes, I'm one of those who believe in Alanon Sobriety as well as AA sobriety--grin!)

    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today you are fully alive, Dear Carol!

    Thank YOU for sharing with me-



    Aloha from Waikiki;


    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff, Carol. I do my best to be the person outside that I am within the meeting. Outside meetings is more complex in general--dealing with the non-recovery world. But I strive to have compassion and be willing to learn.

    ReplyDelete