Friday, November 4, 2011

Acceptance

When all else fails, right? Seriously, I had a greeting card hanging up for the longest time before I ever knew that the message is from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Basically, the page instructs me that any kind of problem that I have can be simplified to a lack of acceptance on my part. Wherever there is pain in my life, irritation with others or despair, the chances are great that my suffering will ease once I let go of my willfulness and accept my circumstances or situation.

Any kind of relief seeking that I have, whether I am tempted to have a 'reward' drink, seek a pharmaceutical solution, eat a bag of good doughnuts, or seduce a perfect stranger results from my unrest with who I am or what I'm doing. It stems from wanting to 'change it up' because what is happening is not good enough.

Imagine just living with the moment, just the way it has transpired. That's what's good about today.

1 comment:

  1. Changing it up because what is happening is not good enough--I do know that one. You made me think about my actions to just live in the moment.

    ReplyDelete