Monday, June 14, 2010

Wise Words From Tolle

"Unease, restlessness, boredom, anxiety, dissatisfaction, are the result of unfulfilled wanting . . . intense wanting that has no specific object can often be found in the still-developing ego of teenagers, some of whom are in a permanent state of negativity and dissatisfaction."

He goes on to say, "No content will satisfy you, as long as the egoic structure remains in place. No matter what you have or get, you won't be happy. You will always be looking for something else that promises greater fulfillment, that promises to make your incomplete sense of self complete and fill that sense of lack you feel within."

I'm doomed. What's good about today is that I know I can't trust my thinking. Hah!

4 comments:

  1. I had to read this a couple of times, but now I think I get it. I think it's basically what we say in Al-Anon, only stated differently. In Al-Anon, we talk about the importance of humility. How ego gets in our way, etc.

    As far as the void, I call that my God-sized hole. And as long as I keep trying to fill it with things--material possessions, accomplishments, other people--then I can never feel satisfied.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. It was good to hear from you! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. doomed perhaps, "as long as the egoic structure remains in place."

    I am hopeful because I know that for me, the ego in me can be broken with reliance upon, prayer to, and conversation with my Higher Power.

    So, I think maybe we're not so doomed after all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doggone it, I wrote a whole "Comment-Blog". You are fortunate I mistakenly deleted, and cannot remember...something about Tolle is good--but every time I read other "spiritual help literature" I get myself in trouble. (I pretend I'm confused, frustrated, etc...really FUNNY!

    PEACE, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard to get rid of the ego. But it is very necessary to quell the urge to let it rule me. Tolle has a lot of great things to say.

    ReplyDelete