Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Progress

Thanks to my 4th follower I'm thinking about progress and what that means or what I want it to mean. If I have a goal, I guess it would be emotional sobriety, the ability to be peaceful most of the time, most days. But the tricky part is that it seems I must go through trouble to get there, as we have all agreed in some meeting or another, it's the tough times that stimulate us to grow. When I am in the midst of funk I can have the presence (presents!) of mind to remember that I will come out of this feeling better, eventually.

One thing about progress that I don't like is that it indicates a linear flow, like from bad to good, unfocused to focused, asleep to enlightened. I think there is more to us than that. I love to think that there is so much more to us than we will ever know, the movie, What the Bleep!, was excellent in that regard. Quantum physics, who knew?

So, I think that progress can be real. I am happy to be happy. In the holy/higher powered/universal presence that cannot be named I don't know if what I do is significant or pleasing. Just for today, I can stay in the present, remember that this too shall pass, give thanks that I am not in pain and pray for those who are 'still out there'. Blessed Be.

3 comments:

  1. I like to think that progress is expansive and not just linear. It opens up new avenues and possibilities in a way that broadens our lives, not simply sending us to the top on a solitary apex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen that movie, but if I remember my high school geometry, unless a line has a point at the end, it's seen as infinite. who says that you have to stop at the point? just keep following the arrow . . . . (as long as it's going in a forward, positive, direction, why not?)
    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete