Monday, July 27, 2009

There's Always Sumpin'

A couple weeks back someone with decades of program under his belt said something caustic and annihilating about an ex-wife. On a later day, I heard him share at a meeting that he heard a lot of love and concern in the room, that up to a year or so earlier he could not have sat through such a meeting but now he realizes that he has more to learn.

My phone buddy and I have been talking two or three times a week. Each time we converse it is because I called. She says she has a problem making calls. She is right. She is great at talking, great at listening, great at answering the phone. Not so great at initiating. But that's what she told me.

What's good about today is people who know where they are blocked, can say it and that I can hear it without thinking that it's about me.

11 comments:

  1. Love that last sentence. I used to turn everyTHING inward. Now I keep it where it needs to stay. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that elephant is STILL here. It is sitting next to me. I'm talking about the one who has kept saying for many years, "Steve it's all about YOU, man!"

    Some day I'll see his tusks on a piano keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What's good about today is people who know where they are blocked, can say it and that I can hear it without thinking that it's about me."

    I love that. I agree 110% with you. Thank goodness it is 'not all about me'.

    PG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just loved this Carol - I get it - It is so freeing when suddenly we understand that ' it' is not always about us, is'nt it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watching people change shows how the program works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same problem. I love to chat on the phone with friends, but I am horrible about picking up the phone and calling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's some insight I'm going to remember forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that priceless?? to know it is not about you.. ??

    I love my recovery and learning these simple yet poignant things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Carol...great post.

    Sometimes it's hard to remember that everyone is on different stages of their journey...you are a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I am soooooo not a good phone-caller. And I have to do phone therapy once a week. It's horrific, like sending a fish hook down into my guts to pull out words.

    But then I go see him in person once a month, and the session flies by la-dee-da.

    I would so prefer if I could get my therapist to talk to me on the phone instead of visa versa. I've got a million questions I'd love to ask him.

    ReplyDelete