Saturday, June 27, 2009

Say Yes

Last night an acquaintance called to invite me with them to a dance tonight. I took down the info but was non-committal. I have gone a few times, got uncomfortable with it and haven't been to one in over a year. I hung up the phone and went back to my book, For The Time Being by Annie Dillard.

Within 10 minutes I was reading that 'The Baal Shem Tov danced and leaped as he prayed, and his congregation danced too. Hasids today dance and leap. Dancing is no mere expression; it is an achievement . . . if the dancers could persuade a melancholy person to join them, his sadness would lift. And if you are that melancholy person, he taught, persuade yourself to dance, for it is "an achievement to struggle and pursue that sadness, bringing it into the joy."

What's good about today is that I can take direction!

5 comments:

  1. YES!
    Dance YOUR dance of life!!!!!

    Aloha my Sistah

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  2. ......enjoy your dancing.. and great exercise.. and fun too with the right people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WooHoo! I love this, Carol....when I would call my first sponsor and tell her I was down in the dumps, she would very matter of factly tell me that I should lock up my house, close the curtains, remove my clothes and dance around for about half an hour. She promised me I would feel different in no time!

    Guess what?? She was right!!! I now tell sponsees that all the time...LOL

    xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. That passage makes me want to get up and dance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like fun to go to a dance. Reminds me of the song I Hope You Dance.

    ReplyDelete